At St Thomas CofE Primary Academy, we aim to provide our pupils with a broad and balanced education that will help them to achieve their God-given personal and academic potential. We secure a curriculum of excellence by ensuring the content and structure are built around evidence-led pedagogical practice. Through careful sequencing, new knowledge builds on previous learning and ensures pupils develop a deeper understanding and are constantly building a network of information around connected ideas in the long-term memory. We structure our curriculum through asking 'big' questions. We provide opportunities for our children to develop spiritually in curriculum blocks through our windows, mirrors and doors approach.
In nursery and reception, our aim is to create a learning environment and build relationships which support, enhance and invite a child’s curiosity, confidence and individual competency to flourish. We aim to work collaboratively with parents and carers to encourage independent, enthusiastic learners who thrive and reach their God-given academic and personal potential. It is our intent that children who enter our EYFS begin their lifelong learning journey by developing physically, verbally, cognitively, spiritually and emotionally whilst also embedding a positive attitude to school and a love of learning.
Throughout school, we ensure our subjects are taught discretely and the knowledge is built upon lesson-by-lesson, block-by-block and year-by-year. Retrieval practice is frequent and embedded through a wide range of tasks. Children are fluent with what they know, making connections to other areas of the curriculum with quality questioning supporting this. Our children thrive on telling you what they have learnt and are accurate and articulate with their vocabulary and knowledge.
We aim for our values to impact how our children view and contribute to our community, our country and the wider world.
Throughout our day and in our lessons, we aim to demonstrate our school values which are:
- Thankfulness- We aim to be thankful to God for the education and opportunities we receive, and to be thankful to one another for every valuable contribution that is made. We are thankful for each other and embrace and celebrate difference showing the British value of respect for all.
- Fairness – We aim to be fair where we value every person, made in the image of God, regardless of age, gender, ability, sexual orientation, background or religion. The British value of rule of law' shows that the law is important. Rules are guidelines for how people should behave. They help to keep everyone safe and ensure people are treated fairly.
- Forgiveness – We aim to reflect God’s love and grace as revealed in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, never settling for less than going ‘the extra mile’ in caring for others. The British value of tolerance is about accepting people for who they are and treating others how you wish to be treated. We do not have to agree with everyone and can be proud of our heritage and beliefs but we can still be tolerant of other's beliefs and opinions.
- Trust – We aim to trust in God and provide a safe and secure environment in which we can trust one another so that everyone feels valued and is able to share their opinions and grow in confidence. The British value of democracy allows everyone to share their opinions in a culture of trust. It means that as many people as possible get to have a say on what happens
- Celebration – Learning in God’s truth and love, we take pride in success and celebrate what we achieve together academically and creatively. The British value of liberty means we are free to make our own choices and express and celebrate our individuality. We try our best to do what is right and fair.
Our Lesson Pathway
For more information regarding the curriculum we follow, please see the link below.
If you require any further information, please contact Mrs Pointon at school on telephone (01782 787099) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org)